Discovering a suitable conveyor system for loading, unloading and transporting materials is an important task. Because this can aid in better accuracy and improved productivity ensure seamless operations at minimal expenses. But, when it comes to choosing the right plastic conveyor rollers, there are a few things you should consider like you should choose the accurate loading capacity of the conveyor according to your requirement. Apart from that, you need to check the conveyor roller condition and make sure the conveyor must carry or transport the goods without any obstructions. For more details, you can check different types of conveyors and choose the best one according to your industry needs.
Review the Products & Work Environment
A detailed review of the products to be transported and the work environment is a must when choosing a roller conveyor. Consider the following conditions when conducting the review.
1. Product conditions
Take down the outer dimensions of the product, its length, height and width should be known before choosing the plastic conveyor rollers. Also, ensure you have taken into account the direction of the flow.
- You must know the weight per item and if there are multiple types of the item, figure out the maximum and minimum weight.
- The products may be in cardboard cases, wooden crates or plastic boxes. The condition of the bottom surface is another aspect of the product to be reviewed.
- When you choose the conveyor, you need to ask the manufacturer about the loading capacity of the machine. It is suggested to avoid overloading on the conveyors because it will damage the conveyor motor and belt instantly.
2. Work conditions
Check for temperature parameters. Along with checking the work conditions for temperature, comes moisture and humidity check as well. It is crucial to take into account the work conditions before you choose any plastic conveyor rollers.
3. Loading conditions
The position in which the products or boxes will be loaded on the conveyor is crucial. As the quality of the materials should not be altered at the same time the efficiency of the conveyor must be maximized.
4. Roller width
When choosing the roller width, base your decision off the outer dimensions of the products. Now that you have the outer dimensions of the products, add at least 50 mm to their bottom width. This would help you in choosing the right roller width.
5. Overhanging transportation
Products with flat bottom surfaces that are wider than the roller width can be transported given that the bottom surface of these products is free of any distortion or sag.
Make sure the conveyor frame and the bottom surfaces do not come into contact while transporting the products. If the roller width is 70 to 80 percent of that of the bottom surface’s width, you are good to go.
Other Crucial Aspects to Look After
Rollers experience varying degrees of impact load depending on the work method used in regards to the loading conditions.
- Roller pitch & Shaft: When choosing the roller pitch, check if there are 3-4 rollers supporting the bottom surfaces of the products. Also, care should be taken to ensure the rollers only take the allowable load. Do not exceed the allowable load limit.
- Material to be used for the roller tube: A good practice is to choose between plastic, carbon steel, urethane covered or stainless steel material for the roller tube.
- Bearing: Apart from reviewing the products and the work conditions, type, size, mountings and housings of the bearing also should be reviewed before choosing the right plastic conveyor rollers.
So now you can choose the best plastic conveyor for your industrial needs, and you need to maintain the manufacturer’s guidelines for future maintenance of the conveyor.