If you have a RV and you are planning go on a long trip, you should think about caravan fridges. These are compact refrigerating units that can fit perfectly in your caravan. They have adequate space to store items that you might need on a long road trip, ranging from grocery items to soft drinks.
The energy requirements of these fridges are low, and they can run efficiently on your vehicle battery or camping battery. They need just 12-240 volts of electricity. There are numerous options available in different price, volume and design ranges.
Types of caravan fridges:
A caravan fridge can be of two types broadly:
- 3-way fridge: In these fridges, ammonia, water, and hydrogen are reacted together to generate cooling. A continuous heat source needs to be there in order to maintain the reaction. These fridges run on gas and 12 or 240 V electricity. This type of fridges can run efficiently for weeks on a 9-kilogram gas cylinder. Thus, they are great for caravans and long journeys in secluded areas. These do not have any loose or moving parts. Hence, there is minimal noise. However, the cooling might not be efficient in places with high temperature. In addition, car battery can get drained fast if the fridge runs when the vehicle’s engine is not running.
- 2-way fridges: These fridges involve cooling through liquidation of refrigerant steam. These run on 12V, 24V, or 240V electricity. These fridges are efficient while running on 12V car battery but, it is important to have a solar panel and battery backup for times when the vehicle is not being driven. These fridges cool comparatively faster than 3-way fridges. These caravan fridges are extremely easy to establish and do not need ventilation or any other work. However, these are comparatively noisier than the 3-way models, but these are highly efficient.
Advantages of having a caravan fridge:
- Convenience: If you are on a long journey, it might be difficult for you to find food and refreshments in different stretches of area. You might travel through a long zone, which is highly secluded and does not have any restaurants or grocery shops. Thus, it is safe to keep certain refreshments, drinks, snacks, etc. with you. A caravan fridge can be perfect for this purpose.
- Highly energy efficient: You can get a caravan fridge that not only has a great gas efficiency, but also the mechanism to automatically switch energy source from vehicle battery to gas or solar panel when the vehicle is not running. This will not only save gas but also ensure that your vehicle does not break down due to the battery getting drained.
- Easy to maintain: Maintenance of caravan fridges is extremely easy. There are usually no moving elements. Cleaning the interiors thoroughly and ensuring that no obstruction block the connections and vents is enough. Thus, you will not need any external help to clean and maintain your fridge.
- Economical: A caravan fridge is highly affordable, and you can find numerous color and design options to choose from. In addition, due to the excellent gas and energy efficiency, energy saving mechanisms, costs are quite low. As cleaning and maintenance can be done by oneself, there are no expenses needed for getting professional services.
It can be suggested that you should go through available options and choose a fridge that meet your needs perfectly. Go for caravan fridges, which are energy and fuel-efficient and have the automatic energy source switching mechanism. This will make sure that even if you are careless, your caravan battery will not be drained.