What are they?
They are a type of door that has horizontal bars that are hinged together. These are also called ‘over head doors’. In order to open them, one needs to raise them up and pull them down so as to close.
They can be of two variations basically
- Manually operated
The manual ones are especially for small ones. Motors are used for large doors which are difficult to raise or pull down manually.
Their only purpose is to protect the valuables inside a particular place. In case of a jeweler shop, they will protect jewels; in case of a bank, it will save money; in case of a prison, it will keep prisoners from breaking out, in garages to protect cars, etc.
Hence, their basic aim is to provide security to the owners. They are used both commercially as well as at houses in case of garages at homes.
They can work as doors for the following appliances:
- schools and colleges
- shopping malls
- banks, etc
They can be of different kinds. Based on their operations, they are separated into different categories. Some of them are:
- Manual: operated manually, using a handle.
- Electric: operates using a tubular motor, especially for large doors.
- Built- on shutters: these are normally rolling doors set or located at the exterior of a building.
- Built- in: they are built into the lintel situated above a window.
- Integrated: it has both the door and the window combined together forming a single thing.
- Fire doors: remains linked to a fire alarm system so that they can close or shut down automatically in case the fire alarm gets activated.
Advantages of having them
They are built so as to ensure the security of a particular place. For all the earlier mentioned places, security is the basic motif. Locking these doors is very important along with just building them. They can otherwise be of no use. They can be easily raised if left without locking them. Various types of locks can be used too, depending upon its graveness.
Care is needed to keep the rustproof as they are mainly made from iron. Painting them from time to time and keeping them clean is important as well. They are a great way to maintain security and hence deserve proper care.