Heaps of leaves, straw or grasses covered in animal skin were the first mattresses that were used by men and women. Thousands of years later, the pharaohs of Egypt discovered the comfort of lifting the bedding off the ground. But the mattresses that are used today are very different from the one that were used in earlier days. Nowadays, mattresses are made up of heavy cloth that contains straw, foam rubber, hair, cotton, or other materials along with a metal spring framework. On an average, every person spends about one third of their life sleeping. So a good mattress is indispensable for a good night’s sleep.
How to Choose the Best Mattress?
There are a lot of factors upon which a good night’s sleep depends on such as stress level, comfort, temperature of the room, etc. But to get it right, you have to begin with the basics and in this case, your mattress is the first element that contributes to a peaceful sleep. There are lots of mattresses available in the market with a variety of features, but you have to choose the best one for you. According to an associate professor of neurosurgery and orthopedic surgery in a medical center, a mattress is used to support your body in a neutral position that can support your buttocks, shoulders, heels, heads and spine in the perfect position. In case if the mattress is too firm, the main pressure points of the body gets affected and takes you out of the correct alignment. And in case if it is too soft, then the pressure points will not get proper support and your entire body can flop back. Both the cases can bring about a painful morning. So here are some tips on bed selection and back pain management:
- Selection of bed and relief from back pain – It is not that mattress is the sole reason for your back pain. A good bed also has equal importance like the mattress. Putting a new mattress on an old, worn bed is not a good idea. You can obtain best results only by placing the mattress on box spring or matching base
- Comfortable and relaxing – There are different kinds of mattresses available in the market such as foam mattress, air mattress, spring mattress and water mattress. Each one of these is good and works well for back pain. Choosing one from them totally depends on your personal choice
- Support – Mattresses that are made especially for back pain supports the heaviest part of the body which needs extra support. Areas of the body that need support are the hip, head and shoulders. Along with a good mattress, a good pillow is also necessary for proper support to your head
- Space – For a good night’s sleep, enough space is also very important. If you are sharing your mattress with your partner or have a tendency of moving around while sleeping, then a king size or a queen size mattress will be the best option for you
Indications that State your Mattress should be Changed
- When your old mattress wears out and is of no use it is then high time to change it with a new one.
- The normal lifespan of a mattress is about 5 to 7 years. But it again depends on the usage of the mattress by the user. So when you start your day with a back pain, then you should understand that it is time for you to shop for a new mattress
- It is better to buy a new mattress after few years so that you can feel the difference between your old mattress and the new on
- With the change of age, the need for mattress also changes. Older people need more support than the young ones
If your back pain continues even after making all these changes, you should consult with a doctor.
This blog written for the reader to provide useful information about best mattress for bad backs. If still want to know more then Click here and get more information best mattress for bad backs.