All types of cable handling equipment cover a vast spectrum of application in the mining and civil industries, in construction and rail sectors, and much more. Various equipments meet specific needs to ensure high quality engineering and services for accomplishment of heavy-duty projects. The services offered are recognized by International standards in order to make sure that nothing goes wrong with the cable handling supplies and protection.
The discussion below shows a few cable handling equipment and protection tools that have been discussed below.
Types of Cable Handling Equipment
- A cable layer is a type of deep sea vessel that is particularly designed to lay down underwater cables for the purpose of electric power transmission, telecommunications and various other purposes. In contrast to the simple designs in cable layers, the modern ones is a combination of cable repair ships and cable-laying ships. The cable repair ships are smaller in sizes and are easily maneuverable. While it can lay cables, but its primary job is to repair or fix broken sections of cables. Whereas, a cable laying ship is particularly designed to lay down new cables. Besides, these ships are larger in sizes than repair ships and are less maneuverable.
- A cable drum stand is required for mounting the cable drums on a small utility or on the deck of a higher working platform. Sometimes, these drum stands are mounted on the ground at site work. These feature 4 holes at the bottom that are fixed to a motor vehicle and come with accessories and spindle. Supported by pins the spindles are strongly locked and each of the spindle features lifting lugs at its both end. The spindle hardware is zinc plated to ensure maximum strength and look to it.
- Linear cable engines offer two types of functions- the first is to grip external surface of cables and then transfer the load to the cable, especially for cables with small diameters. In order to ensure optimum performance, the diameter of the cable if pre-determined since it helps to measure radial depth of the pneumatic zone and solid zone of the linear cable engine tire.
- The cable drum trailers are designed for off-road purposes and these are fixed with brake systems, basic vehicle lights and hand parking facility. In some countries, the drum trailers are operated on highways provided that the towing speed that is indicated does not exceed the full rated payload. As the drums of cables become heavier and larger, the load is supported by minimizing the number of total joints in the cable.
- Cable deflectors are meant to improve safety of the cable networks. The deflectors play important role in ensuring durability of cable accessories. The critical point of any cable joint is the cone edge of that connector. This is required to homogenize the entire electric field.
- Cable thimbles are meant to be used with malleable wire clips or loop sleeves so as to protect the cable from wear and tear. The thimbles are capable of distributing load across the cable over a large area thus increasing the life of cable. The market offer two types of thimbles, one made out of stainless steel and the other made out cold-rolled steel.
- A cable installer is able to install cables in telecommunications equipment meant to transmit signals for services like telephone, television and the internet. Safety precautions are taken when the cables are installed.
Cable handling equipment protection is meant to protect the wires and cables from functioning fine. Thus, with a follow up of the above list you now learn about the different types of cable equipment and their uses.